';
Preloader logo

Iglesia de Santa Úrsula

Iglesia de Santa Úrsula

This building was declared a Place of Cultural Interest in February 1986 in the Historic/Artistic Monument category. Before 1560, a shrine already existed under the name of Santa Úrsula and it was possibly one of the first constructions in the south if the island.

 

Around about this time, Pedro de Ponte lived in Adeje. He began construction of the current church on the site of this shrine. The church is a building with two naves that were constructed in different periods: the left nave, the Rosario chapel and the sanctuary were built in the 16th century, while the main nave and the larger chapel were expansions undertaken in the 17th century by the marquises of Adeje.

The Mudejar-style ceiling, the motifs that decorate the upper area of some external parameters, and the idol that crowns the bell wall, popularly known as the Cabeza de Juan Centeno, are notable features.

With regards to the motifs located on the exterior, on the noble part, where the marquises accessed the temple, these are comprised of decorative geometric motifs and series of elliptical and rhomboidal forms in red and white, while on the facade cruciform shapes appear in the same colours. The cross motif on the side of the church, which is white and has geometric motifs, is a highlight.

The building houses several sculptures of great value, such as the 16th century Virgen de la Encarnación, the Virgen de Candelaria, the 17th century Santa Úrsula, the 17th century La Virgen de Guadalupe, and the 18th century Virgen del Rosario.